Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Whispered Prayers

We had planned at our kitchen table all the logistics a month beforehand. 
Tents. 
Fanny Packs. 
Donuts. 
Colorful signs. 
Refreshments. 
Unloading crew. 
Tear down crew. 

My husband and I had traveled from Sandhills to Gilbert 
picking loads of items up and squeezing them in our trucks. 
For weeks. 
(Let's just say, he might have wanted to say some choice words to me. 
I don't know. Well, I do know. He ain't a yard sale person, y'all).

Then the weather man began to crush our hopes. 
100% chance of rain. 
ON the day of the sale. 

You see, deep down, I had whispered the amount $2,000 in my heart. 
But my mind kept saying "$1,000 is good." 
And the rain just sealed the deal for me. 
Maybbeeeee we would squeeze out $1,000.
Heck, it's $1000 more than we started with. 

But as I looked around a few Saturday mornings ago, I saw such determination. 
Determination from the students from our churches discipleship school. 
They were hustling before I even got there. 
They were dragging out tables, rolling out garment racks, sorting items, 
strolling out baby equipment. 
Determination from my circle, my village, my friends. 
They were wearing their fanny packs and making change. 
They were giving out prices and bringing in the money. 
Answering random question, after random question.  
Sorting things to make the chaos look better after people had rifled through stuff.
Wiping the rain and the sweat off and pushing through.  
Determination from you sweet people who showed up to buy things. 
Some of you at 5am, you crazy animals! 
A few of you told us we were selling things too low and 
would just hand us the extra money they had planned to spend. 
Determination from the adoptive friends who had connected locally through social media. 
Who stopped by to support this new-to-the-adoption world Momma
All. In. The. Rain.  

It was a lot of work, sweat and grossness by the end of that weekend. 
But you all renewed my hope in the goodness of this world. 
We all want to tangibly touch something good. 
We want to be a part. 
And The Henderson's wanted to thank each of you for giving of 
your kids toys and bikes, offering us your couches and lamps, 
bunk beds and kitchen tables, 
old story books and new in the package products. 
Thank you to those who worked. 
Those who wore sweat stains for days. 
Those who bought so that we could have.  

You sweet folks helped us add $2018 to the #bringhomebabyhenderson fund. 
I cannot believe I ever had a doubt! 

"For let us not grow weary of doing good, 
for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." 
Galatians 6:9

No comments:

Post a Comment